Sunday, March 24, 2013

Beginner's Mind





"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few." 
                                                                            Shunryu Suzuki


I spent a lot of time in my studio this week.  For the first time in quite awhile, I had a window of opportunity to get in there and I was ready to roll up my sleeves.  However, once I got started, I just couldn’t seem to make anything happen!  All week long, everything I did felt forced, heavy-handed. There was simply no flow. 

But then on Saturday morning, I padded into my studio in my pajama’s with a cup of coffee, put on David Bowie’s new album and just began to play around.  While I worked, I also had a long conversation with a close friend of mine who was feeling down. Somehow the music, the morning sunlight and the ability to support a beloved friend, things began to unfold. Just like that.

Linda Povey
Beginner's Mind
6 x 6 inches
Mixed media and encaustic on paper
2013

Shoshin is a concept in Zen Buddhism that means "Beginner's Mind.” It refers to having an attitude of openness and a lack of preconceptions when studying any subject, just as a beginner would, even when studying at an advanced level. While I am certainly a beginner as a painter, this concept struck a deep chord within me.  Shunryu Suzuki, author of Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind wrote, “If your mind is empty it is always ready for anything. It is open to everything. In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few." 



I realized that an important part of my painting practice is to not overthink what I am doing, to just let go of the outcome.  Suzuki wrote, “In the Beginner’s Mind there is no thought, ‘I have attained something,’ all self-centered thoughts limit our vast mind.  When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners and we can really learn something.”

Interestingly, the Beginner’s Mind painting began as a photograph I took in Valley Forge Park in January.  This is a vista I have enjoyed almost daily for over 20 years.  Throughout each miraculous season, or at different times of day, it is always evolving and fresh, yet somehow a constant comfort. The painting was my attempt to express how that line of trees looks and feels through my Beginner’s Mind. Open. Ready. Without expectation.

Valley Forge Park
January 2013

I invite you to take a few moments to listen to Peter Coyote narrate a few paragraphs from Shunryu Suzuki’s timeless and profound book. As I head back into the studio, and in other areas of my life, I'm going to try to practice this valuable Zen lesson.





Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind 

7 comments:

  1. Great blog Linda. Your painting is so moody and complex. I loved listening to Peter Coyote reading from Shunryu Suzuki's Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind. This is a thought process that we know, but we so often forget. It is so critical and I thank you for bringing it to my attention again. I am often so critical of my work before, during, and after I've finished a piece. It is when I let go that I create with the most ease and with the most success....and enjoyment I might add.

    A good friend once told me to look at my artwork (even the work that is ugly and belongs in the trash)and find one piece, one little corner that I really love and feel good about that. Just another thing to think about and a way to feel good about ourselves!

    Love you,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, Nancy. It's wonderful having artists as friends, so that we can share the amazing and sometimes painful journey together. I am so inspired by you as you continue to integrate your music into your artwork. I can't wait for our session by the koi pond as soon as the weather turns! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous art and thanks for the Beginners Mind audio. I love the reminder about the "demanding mind", the risk of it trampling your clarity and your intentions.
    The author, Suzuki Roshi, founded SF Zen Center :)
    cb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB! I will always have a precious image of you in my mind. We were on one of our wonderful camping trips as Scouts and had snuck out one night for a campfire with a group of boys. As we sat by the fire, singing along to one of the boy's guitars, you had the most blissful look on your face. I'll never forget it. We were clearly bohemians but we just didn't know it yet! We got in a lot of trouble for that night but I've always contended it was well worth it!

      It is so wonderful to see the amazing, connected woman you became, it makes me happy. Thanks so very much for reading and sharing.

      Lin

      Delete
  4. Linda, I love the fact that you were stuck. Not sure what you were going to do. And then boom!! This beautiful piece of art and thoughts of Zen. You inspire me to get back to the studio tonight. :) Bob Hornsby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby, that means a lot coming from you because your Ardmore sunset series, as well as your other work, have been a total inspiration! I thought of you a lot when I wrote the "Overview" post especially, because those Ardmore shots look like otherworldly planets! I hope you'll move forward with that series. Keep going!

      Also, I am still going to appropriate the crap out of your brilliant Willows photo, thanks for agreeing to that grab!

      Keep painting my friend!!

      LP

      Delete
  5. Take 2!
    And now...I will put your words in practice. My first "take" was from my "beginner's mind" (and unfortunately lost in the ethers of this comment section) : free flowing and heartfelt. I must now attempt to clear the chatter and not over-analyze...and just be.... ohmmm
    The basic idea of what I wanted to communicate was simply that while I thoroughly enjoy your words, artwork and insights in the blog...I am finding the comments section to be very interesting too.
    The fact that your thoughts and ideas take on such a physical manifestation of their own...and how they reach out and affect others...is fascinating to me. Whether you realize it or not...your documentation of your own journey on this interesting road of life is inspiring others! That is powerful.
    And, very much as a healthy "beginner's mind" should be...it is not important that you know this either. Just continue to be. To explore. To create.
    Much like the "line of trees" at Valley Forge...you evolve and morph into the authentic, YOU, as time marches on, the seasons change and others bear witness to your progress. At the same time, you remain constant. In the sense that it is still simply YOU marching along.
    I believe that if each one of us just marches along, and continues to try our best, keeps an open/vast mind....and experiences our world as we are meant to....then our authentic selves will emerge and morph and grow beautifully, as they are intended. And, we will inspire others along the way.

    ReplyDelete