Friday, December 28, 2012

Spreading my wings

It started out modestly enough.  I had a little nook in our downstairs living area where I did collage and mixed media.  A little water color.  It was quite cozy.

Art Table
Art Table
But then I began to work in the encaustic medium, which are pigment-based wax paints and the mess, let alone the fumes, made working in my family room impossible.  So, I carved out a little space in the third bay of our garage.  I thought I just needed some elbow room and better ventilation.  But a funny thing happened, as I began to spread out my space, my ideas began to expand as well.  Suddenly, I wasn't a marketing strategist dabbling in a little painting on the side, but an artist.  I started thinking about my work more and more, and began making a greater commitment to get out "into the studio" as much as I could, not just when I had a few spare minutes, as I had before.

First Garage Set-Up
First Garage Set-Up
It seems that when we give ourselves permission to become the person we want to be, and provide the tools and environment to manifest that dream, wonderful things can happen!  This has been an amazing year for me, in spite of some significant challenges.  As I write this on the final days of the 2012, I have now completely taken over the garage and look forward to a creatively-fueled year ahead.  I'm spreading out.  I'm spreading my wings.

Spreading out
World domination

1 comment: